Petitgirard SOUEN WOU K’ONG Oboe Concerto (World Premiere)
- 3 Mar 2022, 7:30 p.m., Queen's Hall, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, More info and bookings
- 4 Mar 2022, 7:30 p.m., City Halls, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, More info and bookings
Repertoire Oboe Concerto, by Laurent Petitgirard
Flamboyant French oboist and conductor François Leleux is a regular and much-loved collaborator with the Orchestra: his larger-than-life personality and breathtaking musical prowess have charmed and delighted SCO audiences across several seasons.
Leleux gives the world premiere performance of a brand new oboe concerto, written specially for him by prolific Parisian composer Laurent Petitgirard, widely admired for his evocative film scores. Entitled SOUEN WOU K’ONG, the concerto takes its inspiration from the Monkey King of Chinese legend, who embarks on an adventure-filled Buddhist pilgrimage with the monk Tripitaka and spirits Pigsy and Sandy.
Leleux opens with Bizet’s stirring incidental music to L’Arlésienne, and closes with Beethoven’s Second Symphony, written while the composer was reeling from the diagnosis of his on-coming deafness, but bristling with happiness, humor and all the power of a coiled spring.
Performers Scottish Chamber Orchestra, François Leleux
Promoter Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Submitted by Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- soundwalk with The Bard of the Birds
- Drake Music Scotland and Hebrides Ensemble present ECHOES, a concert of new music by disabled composers.
- soundcast LIVE with Rylan Gleave