Petitgirard SOUEN WOU K’ONG Oboe Concerto (World Premiere)
- 3 Mar 2022, 7:30 p.m., Queen's Hall, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, More info and bookings
- 4 Mar 2022, 7:30 p.m., City Halls, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, More info and bookings
Repertoire Oboe Concerto, by Laurent Petitgirard
Flamboyant French oboist and conductor François Leleux is a regular and much-loved collaborator with the Orchestra: his larger-than-life personality and breathtaking musical prowess have charmed and delighted SCO audiences across several seasons.
Leleux gives the world premiere performance of a brand new oboe concerto, written specially for him by prolific Parisian composer Laurent Petitgirard, widely admired for his evocative film scores. Entitled SOUEN WOU K’ONG, the concerto takes its inspiration from the Monkey King of Chinese legend, who embarks on an adventure-filled Buddhist pilgrimage with the monk Tripitaka and spirits Pigsy and Sandy.
Leleux opens with Bizet’s stirring incidental music to L’Arlésienne, and closes with Beethoven’s Second Symphony, written while the composer was reeling from the diagnosis of his on-coming deafness, but bristling with happiness, humor and all the power of a coiled spring.
Performers Scottish Chamber Orchestra, François Leleux
Promoter Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Submitted by Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- The Rules, by Christopher Hutchings
- Send Lazarus, by Christopher Hutchings
- Sanctus, by Helen Mackinnon
- Calton Consort
- BBC SSO: Anna Clyne's 'This Midnight Hour'
- BBC SSO: Messiaen's 'Quartet For The End of Time'
- Legends and Light Vol. 2
- A Live Sound Design Performance - Tom Lyne
- Meta Morphosis: Pippa Reid-Foster / Eva Alkula - The Glad Cafe, Glasgow
- Cryptic: Deep Dive Open Call // YMI Experimental Music Programme
- Ensemble in Residence 2022-24
- Beyond Borders