Dante 700 - International Competition of Symphonic Composition
Deadline: 31 Jul 2021
In Dante’s year and on occasion of the 700th anniversary of the poet’s death, the Camerata Strumentale Città di Prato and the Florence Philharmonic Orchestra – la Filharmonie are announcing an international competition of symphonic composition. The project aims to encourage and promote creative energies in the field of orchestral composition, focusing on the figure and poetry of Dante Alighieri.
The score will have to be inspired by the Divina Commedia, drawing inspiration from a figure, an image, a character, or a selection of verses. The competition is open to composers of any nationality and is without age limit, who should compose a symphonic piece of maximum 15 minutes duration. A prestigious international jury will oversee the entire process. Three scores will be selected for the final stage and will be evaluated by the jury at a public performance, after which the winner will be declared.
The three finalists’ compositions will subsequently be performed and recorded during the future symphonic seasons of Camerata Strumentale Città di Prato and la Filharmonie, and broadcast by Rete Toscana Classica.
The overall winner of the competition will be awarded a prize of 5000 euro, and the successful score will be published within the series Stilnovo by Edizioni Musicali Curci in Milan promoted by CIDIM: Italian National Music Committee. The latter institution will manage the production and international distribution among the network of Italian Cultural Institutions of MAECI and the video recording of the concert in which Camerata Strumentale di Prato and la Filharmonie – Florence Philharmonic Orchestra will perform the finalists’ compositions.
Call for Scores
External link More info
Submitted by New Music Scotland
- Nocturne & Sunrise, by Eddie McGuire
- Meditation on Da Day Dawn, by Katherine Wren
- Carry His Relics, by Gemma McGregor
- Album Release: MIDI Times & Spaces by Neil Tòmas Smith
- Quartet No. 6 (Remix)
- Iconnotations - Made In Scotland Showcase
- Musical Postcards from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra players
- New album - prismatic - released 24th June
- Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now
- Marketing and Communications Manager — Scottish Ensemble
- Freelance Artistic Director for All Together Now
- We're Hiring: Arts Project Trainee Admin Assistant - Easterhouse