BBC SSO: The New Music Show - Torvund & Prins
- 2 Feb 2023, 8 p.m., City Halls, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, More Info & Tickets
Repertoire The Exotica Album, by Øyvind Torvund; under_current for electric guitar and orchestra, by Stefan Prins
The Exotica Album
under_current for electric guitar and orchestra
Yaron Deutsch e-guitar
Ilan Volkov conductor
Be transported to the South Seas courtesy of Øyvind Torvund’s Exotica Album. A cocktail of loungecore, electronics and atonal writing, this tiki-bar symphony is an affectionate tribute to 1950s pop exoticism. With lush strings, computerised bloops, soft-focus sax, and shortwave radios chirruping like birds, it sounds like ‘John Zorn hanging with Karl-Heinz Stockhausen round at Martin Denny’s place.’
In the second half, Stefan Prinz’s electric guitar concerto, under_current, written during lockdown, attempts to blur the lines the human and technological. Written for Yaron Deutsch who performs it here, the orchestra “functions (generally) as a huge, human, analogue meta-amplifier. The battery of pedals that are used to live-process the sound of the electric guitar, find an equivalent in the use of objects and preparations that transform the sounds of the orchestral instruments.”
Both these works will be recorded for BBC Radio 3’s New Music Show.
FREE but ticketed. Limited to 4 tickets per application.
Available from Monday 9 January 2023
Performers BBC SSO
Promoter BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)
Submitted by BBC SSO
- The Rules, by Christopher Hutchings
- Send Lazarus, by Christopher Hutchings
- Sanctus, by Helen Mackinnon
- Calton Consort
- BBC SSO: Anna Clyne's 'This Midnight Hour'
- BBC SSO: Messiaen's 'Quartet For The End of Time'
- Legends and Light Vol. 2
- A Live Sound Design Performance - Tom Lyne
- Meta Morphosis: Pippa Reid-Foster / Eva Alkula - The Glad Cafe, Glasgow
- Cryptic: Deep Dive Open Call // YMI Experimental Music Programme
- Ensemble in Residence 2022-24
- Beyond Borders