sound new music listening club: David Fennessy
Deadline: 24 Nov 2023
Our online listening club is held monthly from 7-8pm on the last Friday of the month, and is a chance to come together regularly to listen to new music and find out more about a selection of contemporary composers.
We will invite a variety of different guest hosts who will explore the music of a new contemporary composer each session. You'll be invited to spend some time listening to one of the composer's works before we meet, but there will also be an opportunity to listen to the work during the session if you don't get around to it beforehand.
Like a book club but with less homework!
For this month's listening club we'll be exploring David Fennessy’s Letter to Michael [8'29] for SATB choir.
Letter to Michael was a joint commission by Chamber Choir Ireland and the Cork International Choral Festival in 2014, and was premiered by CCI in May of the same year at St Fin Barre's Cathedral in Cork.
Letter to Michael was performed by Chamber Choir Ireland as part of the 2023 soundfestival. This is a wonderful chance to revisit this powerful piece of music, or to hear it for the first time if you were unable to attend the concert.
External link More information and register
Submitted by sound
- Unusual Music Exchange w/ Ailie Ormston
- Elsewhere, Elsewhen - CD and Digital Album from Nordic Viola
- On a Wing and a Prayer
- Legato: Call for Early-Career Composers
- Echoes - Connections Crafting Eco-systems through Soundscapes Interactions: a participatory Sound-walk experience and Art conversation
- Call for Scottish Works - Nordic Music Journeys: Sweden and Scotland