Neil Tòmas Smith
Creator, Performer (individual), Project management/Production, Promoter
Neil Tòmas Smith is a composer of chamber, orchestral and choral works based in Edinburgh. He studied in York and Stuttgart, the latter leading to a keen interest in German contemporary music and a forthcoming book on composer Mathias Spahlinger.
Neil won first prize in the Acht Brücken Composition Competition with Gravitation, which was played by Schlagquartett Köln and broadcast on WDR 3. His orchestral work, Habitus, was also broadcast in a performance by the WDR Symphony Orchestra.
In 2018/19 Neil took part in the RSNO Composers’ Hub and the LPO Young Composers’ Programme, resulting in the space-inspired diptych Aphelion / Perihelion. He was also selected to take part in the Making Music’s ‘Adopt a Composer’ scheme, during which he worked with Thame Chamber Choir in South Oxfordshire on a new piece, The Hoard.
Current projects include a collaboration with Esther Kate Swift on a work for speaking harpist, a new piece for Rebecca Hardwick using quotations from the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, and Stop Motion Music for 3 flutes and vibraphone.
News and New Projects Strange Machines CD Launch
Residence/Main Office Edinburgh
Year of birth 1987
|Title||Year composed||Instrumentation Genre|
|Perihelion||2018||Ensemble (with conductor)|
|The Music Lesson||2020||Solo instrument|
|Strange Machines||2014||Solo instrument|
|so much altered||2017||Vocal|
|Scaffold for Simon||2016||Solo instrument|
- Nocturne & Sunrise, by Eddie McGuire
- Meditation on Da Day Dawn, by Katherine Wren
- Carry His Relics, by Gemma McGregor
- Album Release: MIDI Times & Spaces by Neil Tòmas Smith
- Quartet No. 6 (Remix)
- Iconnotations - Made In Scotland Showcase
- Musical Postcards from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra players
- New album - prismatic - released 24th June
- Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now
- Marketing and Communications Manager — Scottish Ensemble
- Freelance Artistic Director for All Together Now
- We're Hiring: Arts Project Trainee Admin Assistant - Easterhouse