Iconnotations - Made In Scotland Showcase
- 25 Aug 2021, 6 p.m., ZooTV, Online, Scotland, UK, ZooTV
Repertoire Vesalii Icones, by Peter Maxwell Davies
As part of the Made in Scotland Showcase, Red Note Ensemble presents Iconnotations with Matthew Hawkins.
Written in 1969 this is one of Peter Maxwell Davies’s classic works of concert-hall music theatre. An extraordinarily dramatic, multi-layered fusion of dance and music, its shape superimposes the 14 stations of the Cross on a series of 16th-century anatomical drawings by Vesalius, with a dancer and a solo cellist as the protagonists.
Scored for the classic Fires of London Sextet line-up this work is filled with unconventional percussion instruments, a honky-tonk piano, allusions to foxtrots, as well as medieval and renaissance music.
Iconnotations will be available to live stream via ZooTV on 25th August, 6pm (BST) and available on demand until 29th August.
Made in Scotland is a curated showcase of high quality performance from Scotland at the world’s largest arts festival, made possible by support from the Scottish Government’s Expo Fund. It is a partnership between the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society, the Federation of Scottish Theatre, the Scottish Music Centre and Creative Scotland.
Music courtesy of Boosey & Hawkes Music Publishers Limited.
Performers Red Note, Lionel Handy, Matthew Hawkins, Soraya Ham, Geoffrey Paterson
Promoter Made In Scotland
Submitted by Red Note
- Nocturne & Sunrise, by Eddie McGuire
- Meditation on Da Day Dawn, by Katherine Wren
- Carry His Relics, by Gemma McGregor
- Album Release: MIDI Times & Spaces by Neil Tòmas Smith
- Quartet No. 6 (Remix)
- Iconnotations - Made In Scotland Showcase
- Musical Postcards from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra players
- New album - prismatic - released 24th June
- Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now
- Marketing and Communications Manager — Scottish Ensemble
- Freelance Artistic Director for All Together Now
- We're Hiring: Arts Project Trainee Admin Assistant - Easterhouse