SOFT STILLNESS AND THE NIGHT with the SCO Chorus
- 11 Jun 2022, 8 p.m., Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland, UK, Book your free ticket now
- 12 Jun 2022, 7 p.m., Holy Trinity Church, St Andrews, Scotland, UK, Book your free ticket now
Repertoire The Heart of Night, by Anna Clyne
Gregory Batsleer, Conductor
- WILLIAM BYRD Laudibus in sanctis
- RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Three Shakespeare Songs
- JUDITH BINGHAM The Drowned Lovers
- CHARLES VILLIERS STANFORD The Blue Bird
- FRANK MARTIN Songs of Ariel
- ANNA CLYNE The Heart of Night (SCO commission: World Premiere)
- BENJAMIN BRITTEN Hymn to St Cecilia
Experience all the power and majesty of the human voice, and of choral singing direct from the heart.
Vibrant, versatile and thrillingly vivid, the SCO Chorus is one of the finest orchestral choirs in the UK, as a celebrated collaborator with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, and as a brilliantly accomplished ensemble in its own right.
Chorus Director Gregory Batsleer has led choirs and orchestras right across Britain, and is much admired for his potency, precision and perceptive insights. He directs a rich programme that crosses six centuries of choral music, from the dancing rhythms of Byrd’s joyful Laudibus in Sanctis from the 16th century, to the very first performances of SCO Associate Composer Anna Clyne’s new Heart of Night, written in wonder at the natural world.
Vaughan Williams and Swiss composer Frank Martin take inspiration from Shakespeare in their vivid choral pieces, while British composer Judith Bingham immerses us in a Bavarian lake in her beautiful, bittersweet elegy The Drowned Lovers. The concert concludes with Britten’s glorious musical tribute to the patron saint of music herself, his luminous Hymn to St Cecilia.
With Historic Environment Scotland and in association with St Andrews Voices.
Performers Scottish Chamber Orchestra Chorus
Promoter Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Submitted by Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- 03 Jun 2022, 11:00
[Covfefe: online coffee chat for composers & musicians]
- 05 Jun 2022, 10:00
[Open Score Club - Gardenscape]
- 08 Jun 2022, 14:30
[A CELEBRATION OF MARTYN BRABBINS – EMERGING COMPOSERS]
- 08 Jun 2022, 20:00
[Sound Thought x GLEAM Concert - Darren Gallacher & Failed System Test]
- 11 Jun 2022, 19:30
[Hebrides Ensemble x Drake Music Scotland: Hidden Door 2022]
- World premiere recording of "The Present", by James MacMillan
- New music listening club
- Sound Thought x GLEAM Concert - Darren Gallacher & Failed System Test
- Figurenotes Software and Resource Hub Lunch
- Album 200m: Ambient Music in a 9v World by casiomtb released
- New Recording: 'Ursa Minor' - chamber music of Stuart MacRae