Cryptic Nights Call Out 2023
Deadline: 15 Aug 2022
We are inviting Scottish based artists from all backgrounds to develop an existing work for a performance, installation or screen-based work as part of our Cryptic Nights 2023 programme. Presented in partnership with the Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) in Glasgow, we support emerging artists who cross creative boundaries, with live music, visual and sonic art, film and new media.
Cryptic is an equal opportunities and inclusive organisation. We want to inspire more people to discover, engage with and participate in the arts and we recognise that the diversity of our artistic programme, audiences and workforce is key to our success.
We understand there is a need to provide opportunities to emerging artists who are currently underrepresented within our programme. We particularly welcome applications from Black artists and People of Colour artists, gender identities, D/deaf or disabled and those who are from a working class or low socio-economic background. We are members of Keychange and have made a commitment to achieve gender parity across our programmes of work.
Candidates who are currently under-represented within our programme will automatically be shortlisted if they meet the application criteria.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
- A guaranteed fee of £750
- Support & mentoring from Cryptic
- Marketing and PR support
- Technical support from CCA
- Travel within Scotland and accommodation expenses for artists based out with the central belt where applicable
- Documentation of your work
- Free entry to other Cryptic Nights events throughout the year
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Emerging artists from all backgrounds who are based in Scotland. Cryptic understands that an artist’s creative career can emerge at any stage in life and our selection process reflects this.
- Artists not in full time education.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Existing projects that have potential for development to be presented as a performance, screening or sound installation. Please note we are not looking for work in traditional theatre, literature, music, comedy, circus or dance. We do not support commissions or new work.
- Work with original music or sound-based elements is essential. We are particularly interested in submissions that use technology in new and creative ways.
External link More info on how to apply
Submitted by Cryptic
- The Rules, by Christopher Hutchings
- Send Lazarus, by Christopher Hutchings
- Sanctus, by Helen Mackinnon
- Calton Consort
- BBC SSO: Anna Clyne's 'This Midnight Hour'
- BBC SSO: Messiaen's 'Quartet For The End of Time'
- Legends and Light Vol. 2
- A Live Sound Design Performance - Tom Lyne
- Meta Morphosis: Pippa Reid-Foster / Eva Alkula - The Glad Cafe, Glasgow
- Cryptic: Deep Dive Open Call // YMI Experimental Music Programme
- Ensemble in Residence 2022-24
- Beyond Borders