Trustees and Chair of the Board
Deadline: no (ongoing)
Drake Music Scotland is seeking up to four individuals to take on the role of Trustee with the organisation, including Chair of the Board of Trustees. Due to several Trustees stepping down after long periods of time on the Board, we are currently seeking four new Trustees to join the organisation. Drake Music Scotland is fully committed to the social model of disability, social inclusion and diversity and aims to have a wide range of people including disabled people and those with chronic illness and from social backgrounds who might not consider themselves experienced enough for the role. We are open to conversations with anyone with a passion for equality and a belief in the importance of our work.
Trustees ensure the good governance and smooth running of the charity, supporting the CEO and wider staff team. They represent fields including arts and culture, disability, music education, legal and charitable affairs, funding and finance, the public sector, HR, and IT and technology. This ensures we extend our knowledge of the issues and challenges we face.
We know there are lots of ways that someone can gain experience and insight, not just through professional experience. Having trustees who are currently living with a disability or who have lived experience of disability or chronic illness is essential to our work. We also welcome applications from people from other protected characteristics groups and with intersectional barriers.
There is no requirement for new trustees to have previous experience and we welcome applications from those with an interest in our work. New Board members receive induction and can access training, which we pay for, to build their experience. The roles are unpaid but we pay expenses will cover all access costs, and other expenses to enable people to fully participate in Board activities.
The Chair, as the leader of the Board of Trustees, has some additional responsibilities including:
• working with the CEO to develop the direction and strategy of the charity, ensuring trustees have the information they need to make decisions
• support of the CEO including developing external relations with key agencies, line management, professional development & annual appraisal;
• working with other members of the Board to organise and populate sub-committees and short-term working groups, and attend external meetings as appropriate, reporting back to the wider Board;
• planning the cycle of Board meetings and agendas
External link Vacancies section of DMS webs
Submitted by Drake Music Scotland
- Unusual Music Exchange w/ Ailie Ormston
- Elsewhere, Elsewhen - CD and Digital Album from Nordic Viola
- On a Wing and a Prayer
- Legato: Call for Early-Career Composers
- Echoes - Connections Crafting Eco-systems through Soundscapes Interactions: a participatory Sound-walk experience and Art conversation
- Call for Scottish Works - Nordic Music Journeys: Sweden and Scotland