Educator, Performer (individual), Project management/Production
Graduating with a Masters degree in saxophone performance Karen studied with Josef Pacewicz. During her studies she won the Royal Scottish National Orchestra’s Apprenticeship Scheme and the Mary D Adams Prize for Chamber Music.
In 2011 Karen was awarded the Creative Scotland Personal Development Award allowing her to study in Europe with soprano saxophonist Christine Rall, of the Rascher Saxophone Quartet.
She now enjoys a varied career of chamber and orchestral music including performing with the Orchestra of Scottish Opera, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. Karen has performed for many dignitaries including Prince Andrew, Prince Charles and Lady Camilla Parker Bowles and one of the world's most famous enthusiasts of the saxophone, former US President Bill Clinton. Recent projects include working with Turner Prize winner Charlotte Prodger.
Karen is the soprano saxophonist in the award winning saxophone quartet Sax Ecosse. Recipients of the Enterprise Music Scotland Residency Project 2008 and are alumni of the prestigious Live Music Now scheme. Sax Ecosse have enjoyed great success as a chamber group performing live on BBC Radio Scotland Classics unwrapped, in Europe and the UK including The Edinburgh International Festival, returning artists at The Emerging Artist Series- The Usher Hall 2012 and 2009, Celtic Connections, the 16th World Saxophone Congress, St Andrew's and 14th World Saxophone Congress, Slovenia, Norway’s St Olav’s Festival and collaborations with Maltings Theatre. She also performs around Scotland with her saxophone and harp duo Baba Yaga, performing on their exciting project of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition for saxophone and harp.
Residence/Main Office Glasgow
- Nocturne & Sunrise, by Eddie McGuire
- Meditation on Da Day Dawn, by Katherine Wren
- Carry His Relics, by Gemma McGregor
- Album Release: MIDI Times & Spaces by Neil Tòmas Smith
- Quartet No. 6 (Remix)
- Iconnotations - Made In Scotland Showcase
- Musical Postcards from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra players
- New album - prismatic - released 24th June
- Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now
- Marketing and Communications Manager — Scottish Ensemble
- Freelance Artistic Director for All Together Now
- We're Hiring: Arts Project Trainee Admin Assistant - Easterhouse