Sax Ecosse are a vibrant saxophone quartet who enjoy considerable success as a chamber ensemble throughout the UK and Europe. We were recipients of the Enterprise Music Scotland Residency Project 2008-10, and are alumni of the prestigious Live Music Now scheme founded by Yehudi Menuhin. We are passionate advocates for original repertoire for saxophone quartet and have successfully introduced this exciting and engaging music to numerous audiences throughout music clubs and festivals. Recent performances range from The Edinburgh International Festival, The Emerging Artist Series at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh, Celtic Connections, and Minimal at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, to recitals at the World Saxophone Congress in Slovenia, the St Olav’s Festival in Norway and performing live on BBC Radio Scotland Classics Unwrapped .
All four members of Sax Ecosse are graduates of the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. We formed in 2004 during our studies at the RCS where we won all of the major chamber music prizes including the Governor’s Recital Prize and the Mary D Adams Prize for Chamber Music. During this time Sax Ecosse also reached the final of Saxtet Publication’s Saxophone Quartet Competition leading to a performance at the British Saxophone Congress.
Sax Ecosse has received generous grants towards their professional development from Musicians’ Benevolent Fund, The Cross Trust, Scottish International Educational Trust, and The Hope Scott Trust, allowing them to study as a quartet with the pioneering Rascher Saxophone Quartet and the virtuoso saxophonist, Dr Frederick Hemke.
Residence/Main Office Scotland
Year of birth 2004
- the surface of the night, by Kevin Leomo
- near dark, by Kevin Leomo
- Close to the Bone, by Kevin Leomo
- Sound Festival Spotlight Gig: Stephanie Lamprea (Soprano) and James Banner (Double Bass)
- Red Note Sessions in Perth - Sub Mari
- sound festival | 19-24 October 2021
- Musical Postcards from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra players
- New album - prismatic - released 24th June
- Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now