Live Music Now Scotland
Live Music Now is a music outreach charity founded in 1977 by Yehudi Menuhin. A Scottish branch was set up in 1984.
It is a unique organisation which has kept Menuhin’s vision alive in ensuring that all members of society, whatever their circumstances, have access to the enriching experience of live music. Live Music Now Scotland also offers invaluable performing opportunities, training and support to emerging artists at the outset of their professional careers. The musicians who are part of the scheme operate in small ensembles of up to five members and are specially recruited and auditioned before being accepted. Apart from outstanding musical and technical abilities, musicians who work with Live Music Now Scotland have excellent communication skills in engaging with a wide range of audiences from a diversity of backgrounds.
Typical audiences include children with additional support needs, older people in residential and day care, often with dementia related illness, young offenders, hospice patients and those living in remote, rural and island areas with little or no access to high quality music. Programmes are tailored to suit each venue on a bespoke basis and the resulting interactive performances prove time after time that connecting with people through music can stimulate responses that have a deeply profound and lasting transformative effect.
Throughout Scotland, Live Music Now Scotland gives over 750 performances each year, from Orkney and Shetland to the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway. The pool of musicians delivering the work is across the genres of classical, traditional, rock/pop and jazz and number around 120 individual musicians in 40 – 50 ensembles. Alumni can be seen in orchestras, ensembles, opera houses, concert venues, recording studios and educational establishments where musicians are pursuing their careers, inspired by the ideals of Live Music Now.
News and New Projects Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now
Residence/Main Office Scotland
Year of birth/founding 1984
- Nocturne & Sunrise, by Eddie McGuire
- Meditation on Da Day Dawn, by Katherine Wren
- Carry His Relics, by Gemma McGregor
- Album Release: MIDI Times & Spaces by Neil Tòmas Smith
- Quartet No. 6 (Remix)
- Iconnotations - Made In Scotland Showcase
- Musical Postcards from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra players
- New album - prismatic - released 24th June
- Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now
- Marketing and Communications Manager — Scottish Ensemble
- Freelance Artistic Director for All Together Now
- We're Hiring: Arts Project Trainee Admin Assistant - Easterhouse