This piece was written in collaboration with writer Martin Raymond as part of Refugee Week held at Stirling University. Displayed at the university is "The List" which traces information relating to the deaths of 34, 361 refugees, asylum seekers and undocumented migrants who have lost their lives within, or on the borders of Europe since 1993.
Mare Nostrum, 'Our sea' in Latin was the Roman name for the Mediterranean. It is also the name of the Italian governments year-long operation in 2013 in response to unprecedented losses of refugee ships around the island of Lampedusa.
The number, 34, 361, has been inscribed into the piece within the time signatures as a stark reminder of the vast and ever growing number of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants who have lost their lives.
Instrumentation Genre Ensemble (no conductor)
Duration 6 minutes
Performances of this work
- Unusual Music Exchange w/ Ailie Ormston
- Elsewhere, Elsewhen - CD and Digital Album from Nordic Viola
- On a Wing and a Prayer
- Legato: Call for Early-Career Composers
- Echoes - Connections Crafting Eco-systems through Soundscapes Interactions: a participatory Sound-walk experience and Art conversation
- Call for Scottish Works - Nordic Music Journeys: Sweden and Scotland