New Music Scotland
New Music Scotland is a network of artists, ensembles, orchestras, composers, creators, music educators, sound artists, musicians, producers, promoters and anyone who believes in the importance and value of creating new music in Scotland. We are an organisation (SCIO Charity No SC049720) that exists to connect, enable and support makers of innovative and experimental new music and our members help drive how we do that.
We believe that new music comes from many different cultural traditions and musical practices; what brings us all together is our passion for and belief in the intrinsic value of new music creation for individuals and society as a whole.
New music practices can include (but are not limited to): Acoustic Ecology / Avant-garde music / Co-improvisation / Contemporary chamber music / Contemporary opera / Contemporary orchestral music / Contemporary vocal and choral music / Computer music / Electroacoustic music / Electronica Experimental music / Experimental world music / Experimental folk music / Free improvisation / Invented instruments / Microtonal music / Musique actuelle / Radio art / Sound art / Uncategorisable musical practices.
Guided by a Board of Trustees from across the sector, NMS employs a Project Manager, who co-ordinates and plans activity, acting as the lynchpin for the network, as well as a Digital Officer, who looks after our social media networks, collates the monthly bulletin of activity, and focuses on the online and digital presence of NMS. Both roles are part time.
Typical activity throughout the year includes the Scottish Awards for New Music, a Professional Development programme (the Time Out peer-to-peer residency, regular CPD workshops), monthly Bulletin of activity, the In Cahoots conference, regular networking events, advocacy for the sector on specific issues and at major international events, and maintaining and developing social networks and online activity.
- Nocturne & Sunrise, by Eddie McGuire
- Meditation on Da Day Dawn, by Katherine Wren
- Carry His Relics, by Gemma McGregor
- Album Release: MIDI Times & Spaces by Neil Tòmas Smith
- Quartet No. 6 (Remix)
- Iconnotations - Made In Scotland Showcase
- Musical Postcards from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra players
- New album - prismatic - released 24th June
- Gillian Walker Commissioned by Live Music Now
- Marketing and Communications Manager — Scottish Ensemble
- Freelance Artistic Director for All Together Now
- We're Hiring: Arts Project Trainee Admin Assistant - Easterhouse